Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

THE OREO MARRIAGE



Bookmark and Share

THE OREO MARRIAGE

One night while in Montana I asked the Lord to help me write a tribute to my wife Joan. At once He said, “Oreo Cookie”. This stunned me and for a moment I had to think; what in the world does this mean? Then the following words began to flow from my heart.

If you were to ask most Christians to judge their marriage, and they were honest, they would say that it is far less than what they expected. There is a reason for this and this short message will reveal the reason and also provided a way to make it extra special just as promised. First, lets rate your marriage with the following scale.

1. It is perfect and could not be better.

2. It is great but not perfect.

3. It is very good but has room for improvement.

4. It is OK but is in need of some serious help soon.

5. We are struggling, holding on for the sake of the children.

6. We are holding on but not sure how much longer.

7. It is definitely not good and needs counseling.

8. We are starting to seriously not like each other.

9. Our communication is generally hurtful going both ways.

10. It is really over. We are staying together for economic reasons only.

When we stand before God and make a lifetime commitment to join our lives into one, He takes us seriously. We should understand the primary reason for Holy Matrimony is to “procreate” or to continue the work of God by bringing little children into the world for Him to love. Perhaps this wasn’t your primary purpose at the time but after a while it should be.

I am now a grandparent with five wonderful grandchildren. I could not have them except for the mercy of a Great God who blessed my wife and I with two very special daughters long ago. I believe Joan and I have an Oreo marriage. This was not possible in the beginning as I wasn’t saved. Joan met Jesus in a personal way after our daughters were born. Now she wasn‘t the problem, I was. I had a strong dose of religion and not much else.

Six weeks after she met Jesus I surrendered my life to Him. All at once I could love her with the same unconditional love I was now enjoying from her. It was like my eyes were now open and I could see what a wonderful gift she was to me. Now, don’t get me wrong here, I didn’t turn into the perfect husband overnight and am still along ways from my goal to be the best husband I can be for her, but I’m trying.

If you examine an Oreo cookie you can see what happened to us. The two cookies represented us. We tended to rub each other wrong which tended to make us less understanding and patient. I must admit that most of the time it was my fault due to a false sense of pride. I had much to be thankful but due to my lack of an intimate relationship with my God I was unable to express it being arrogant and selfish.

The sweet stuff in the Oreo cookie represents Jesus. Now that we were now born again of His Spirit, we have the very presence of the Holy Spirit to cushion and heal our relationship. The only thing that can make an Oreo cookie better is more sweet stuff. The same is true for a Christian marriage. As we die to our own desires and seek God’s will for our lives He will not disappoint us. He will continue to fill our lives with more of Himself turning them into a daily delight for us and for Him.

Joan and I will celebrate our 43rd anniversary on June the third. I can assure you, God gave me the best wife in the whole world and I tell her often. The love of Jesus flows from this precious wife. She makes me want to be better as I experience her love that continues to grow for me. God has promised us to bring us to Heaven and allow us a special relationship that will never end.

I know in my heart we will explore the cosmos together and serve our God along with all of our family members forever. I’m sure they will be there as I have asked Him to bring them into a saving knowledge of Him before they die. He is an expert in answering this prayer and what He is doing for us, He will do the same for you too.

To get started on your Oreo marriage, you must surrender all that you are or ever hope to be. There is a special prayer at the end of this message to help you. Then you should purchase some Oreo cookies. When you are having a disagreement give one to your spouse as he or she leaves for work or wherever they are going. Then you set a specific time that is practical and tell them you are going to sit down with Jesus and gently eat your cookie while telling Him how much you love and appreciate your spouse.

As you nibble on your cookie ask God to bless him or her with His very best blessings. Hopefully your spouse will be doing the same thing at that moment. I can assure you that before the prayer is finished you will be looking forward to seeing each other. Jesus has a special interest in your relationship and wants to make it truly GREAT. You and I know He can accomplish this. Isn’t this true? Go ahead and give Him the opportunity, what do you have to lose?

In His Service,

Capt. Ben Marler


Captben61@hotmail.com
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I admit to you I am a sinner and I need you to save my soul. You died on a cross for me shedding your Blood that can wash me clean as new snow. I want to be washed as I am ashamed of my past. I know the Father raised you from the dead and that you will raise me. I want to receive you into my life as my Lord where I can serve you.

Lord please lead me to a church that has a pastor who can help me grow in our relationship and where I can serve you with all my heart. Lord please place a true hunger within me to read from the Bible and give me revelation as I do. I love you Jesus and I always will. Thank you for saving my soul.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is now 2007 and Joan and I are only two months from our 49th wedding anniversary. Because of Jesus our love is so strong that nothing can separate us. Our Jesus is so faithful and helps us even more as our bodies crumble some like an old Oreo. His sweetness is even sweeter. Thanks to Him we now have a brand new “magnificent” grandson too. Isn’t the Lord absolutely Wonderful?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is now June 6th in 2008 and we made it to our Golden Anniversary thanks to a Great God. May He bless marriages everywhere and the children from them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is now July 16 in 2009 and we have celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary! Glory….The best part is we love each other more as we age….soon we will be in our brand new glorified permanent bodies dancing on the streets of Gold in the New Jerusalem. If no one has told you before they are about 33 years old in appearance, just like our Lord, “We shall be as He Is.” If you aren’t positive you will be there please write to me real soon….captben61@gmail.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It’s now October 30 in 2010 and Joan and I will be celebrating our 53rd this coming year, if Jesus doesn’t come and get us first. May all who read it prepare to meet Jesus as a child of God. Please check out my blog: captben61.blogspot.com PS We now have 8 grand kids and 3 are “great”, Matthew, Isaac and Ava Noel.// -Capt. Ben

 

4 comments:

  1. HEY BEN,I had a question...Im gonna email u at ur google address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toronto First Class Limo Service is best choice for Wedding Limo Service in Toronto Mississauga Etobicoke Brampton Richmond Hill North York, We provide high class service for all occasions

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Toronto based Wedding Limo service provider. Contact for Limo Services in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Richmond Hill, Oakville, Markham, Scarborough, Milton and George Town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to give my brother, Matthew a copy of your "Oreo Marriage" for the toasting party this weekend. I already had a cooler w/ their names engraved on it, and I think packing oreos in their cooler w/ your blog on the "Oreo Marriage"... I know they will love it. Thanks for recommending it to me. Love you, Captain Marler.

    ReplyDelete