Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

ARE YOU POSSESSED

Before you say you aren’t, read on and discover a truth the Lord is showing me. Did you know the vast majority of Christians are “possessed by their possessions“? I know I am and this has to change. There are some things I don’t share with anyone. Some are very dangerous things and in the hands of a child or irresponsible person someone could lose their life or be seriously injured. Then there are other things like motor boats and automobiles that could make me liable if misused creating financial havoc beyond my insurance policy limits. It’s wise to keep them in my care.

The most important possession most folks have is money. If it becomes our god we’re in real trouble for it can lead us astray in a hurry. Some folks gamble theirs away which is my definition of being stupid. If you’ve worked as hard and Joan and me it’s the last thing you would want to do. I still remember penny bubble gum and nickel cokes. I’ve been known to drive across town to save a few pennies a gallon on gas. When we were in college, we darn near starved. I made about $1.56 an hour working for Walgreens and Sears. I had to drop out for a while when Athena was coming. I made $65 a week working for Vitro Services and glad to get it.

God set me free from ownership of money even before I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I won’t give details here but He showed me that money is a only a tool, and when in His hands, some really great things can happen. One thing is He begins to bless us with more and more. There’s a wonderful verse that declares, “Give and it shall be given unto you, pressed down into your cup even spilling over into your lap.” God doesn’t do it to make us “rich” but to make it possible for us to help others. Think of God’s Love as a verb and you’ll get the idea.

If you are one that’s financially comfortable make sure you don’t own your wealth. There’s a simple reason for God said, “Do not lay up treasure for yourselves here on earth where rust and moth corrupts and thieves can break in and steal. Instead lay up treasure in Heaven where rust and moth can not corrupt and where thieves can not break in and steal.“ Do you have any laid up there? By the way, this isn’t a suggestion but a command.

My dad was a man who enjoyed giving more than anyone I’ve ever known. He grew up “dirt poor”. He told me of times when he was in Pensacola penniless. For .25 cents he could have bought a bowl of beef stew but he didn’t have a quarter. Later if he saw someone he thought was hungry they were fed and it became a joy for him. My mom began to become concerned for some took advantage of him. But he didn’t mind. God is like that too. We are fed by God daily and don’t we take advantage of Him?

What do we have including our next breath or heart beat that He isn’t giving us? No one is more generous that our Heavenly Father. He gave the most important person in His life when He sent Jesus to die for us. I can assure you I wouldn’t give one of my daughters or grandchildren to die for anyone. I would die for them, if necessary, and defend them to my grave. I bet you would say the same thing.

As much as we call them “ours” we aren’t being truthful for they all belong to God who formed them in their mom. Did you know when He first saw you He told you how much He loved you? The fingerprints He printed on your fingers are His mark on you. You are very unique and special to Him.

Did you know that once you’re born again you’re God’s possession in a very special way? He has used the Blood of Jesus to wash all repentant sinners as clean as new snow. Nothing else will work so don’t try religion or “good works”. We must simply believe upon the works of Jesus believing in His death and resurrection for us personally. That’s not too hard, Amen? Before Jesus can come inside us we must repent or turn around from our sinful lifestyle. Don’t say you can’t for many millions who have already done it are proving you wrong. If you gaze upon Jesus dying on his cross, it won’t be difficult at all. He paid a huge price for each of us.

There are folks who’re possessed by evil spirits. I met a huge number during a jail ministry. If we give ourselves over to evil spirits they will at first “oppress us” or have us abusing ourselves. Alcohol, drugs, promiscuous sex, gluttony, reckless behavior are only a few ways demons use to ruin our lives. After a while they can actually enter into our spirit where we could become a monster. Without belaboring the point, watch the news and you will see demonic “monsters” who’ve become horrible murderers. When we surrender to Jesus and filled with His Spirit we become lovers like Him.

In His Service,

Capt. Ben Marler


captben61@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment