Search This Blog

Monday, August 23, 2010

HOW DOES OUR FAITH WORK


Bookmark and Share


HOW DOES OUR FAITH WORK
This message is going to surprise the majority of folks who read it. First of all God gives us His definition of faith in Hebrews 11:1, “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for the conviction of things not seen.“ When I became born again I found a discipline that led me to read 10 chapters a day from my Bible. It was divided into sections where two chapters were rotated everyday, Hebrews 11 [the faith chapter] and First Corinthians 13 [the love chapter]. Only the Lord knows how many times I’ve read them but I followed the discipline for decades allowing me to operate on a high level of faith.
Now this shouldn’t be confused with the “mustard seed” faith Jesus said that would move mountains and have trees uprooted and cast into the sea for I’ve never done that. I suspect that’s a “special faith” given by God for momentary use. By the way, it’s very important we understand we can’t measure our faith nor that of anyone else. God is the only “Faith Broker”.
I find it useful in thinking of faith as money. When we need something from God we must spend what we have. This may be why a lot of folks are disappointed. They come to God needing something but only use part of their faith. You can read in chapter one of James what He has to say about “wishy washy” faith.
One day I asked God for a simple definition for faith and He said, “Faith is knowing Jesus.” That is simple and profound. Do you remember how God said He made the Gospel simple to confound the wise? He’s insistent that we not use our intellect when dealing with Him. He said we must walk by faith and not by sight. Not many of us are willing to do that. How about yourself? Are you walking by faith? If you are, God’s works are getting done. Jesus said, “You can do nothing apart from Me.” Why do you think He said that? Could it be that we want to do things our way? You betcha!
Another major block is our lack of understanding in the use of the Name of Jesus. His Name is above all names and every knee will bow one day by everyone above, beneath and on the earth. All power in Heaven is given in His Name. We don’t understand it for if we did we would be very careful how we pronounce it. God doesn’t use irreverent people and if He does it’s in ways they wouldn’t enjoy. There are times in the Bible where God uses folks in ways that didn’t benefit them like Pharaoh. If you recall he drowned along with his army in the Red Sea while pursuing Moses. God gave him faith to go after the Israelites during the Exodus but it wasn’t for his good.
Lets look at faith and see how we can use ours and see God move in our behalf. First of all, we need to be born again. This means we gave up our life [will] and accepted God’s will as our own. I’ve used Ephesians 2:10 for over 35 years now to accomplish what He has planned for me. I offer myself each morning according to this verse. I know it isn’t the only way but if it wasn’t right for me, He surely would have stopped me long ago.
God’s will is a “slam dunk” when we’re moving with the Holy Spirit who lives in the hearts of all born again Christians. If He isn’t in us, we’re still lost! No one wants to hear that but the Bible tells us it’s true. In First John 5 God says, “Those who have Jesus have eternal life and those who don’t have Him don’t have eternal life.“ Is that true or false? Of course it’s true, and if you aren’t born again now, what are you waiting on?
One thing I’ve learned, God will honor what faith we have and we must use it with every request. We might think that God isn’t listening when we pray, but He is, and longs to do for us. He’s a very Good Father who sees us as children regardless of our age. It’s good we always remember it for it‘s difficult to get caught up in pride if we remember it. Isn’t a child always dependent upon it’s parents? Lord help me to remember this.
I can’t believe He’s allowed me to live 72 plus years. There were a number of times when I should have left for glory. Today I was sharing how Joan, our small daughter Athena and I nearly lost our lives in a small plane I was flying from Tallahassee to Destin. Pilot error can do you in, but when God has plans for your life, miracles will happen. I also told them God saved me to help them. My faith confirms it. Perhaps it’s why you’re reading this message. Shouldn’t we use our faith and offer our lives to Jesus each morning? If we do, we can get busy with His business, Amen?
In His Service,
Capt. Ben Marler
captben61@gmail.com
captben61.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment