Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

WHAT CHRISTMAS MEANS TO ME

WHAT CHRISTMAS MEANS TO ME: I was born and grew up in Destin when there may have been 100 people here, or maybe a few more. No one had anything, but we had parents that loved us and sacrificed greatly to place a few things under the tree cut from a pine near Wild Cat hill. I cut a few myself from just behind it on the north side as I became older. Christmas was a time of enjoying festive food, like fruit cakes, pies, a baked chicken
[taken from the yard] and made into the "centerpiece" for the table. Around it were a few different vegtables cooked to perfection on a wood burning stove. There was always a hint of burning oak to enjoyed in an around the kitchen for it meant Food! Destin in winter time was a harsh place for the north winds crossing Choctawhatchee Bay held moisture and the cold wind would go through you like a knife if you were standing in it. But on this day of Christmas a lot of the discomfort was "excused" for we knew it meant today it was the Birth of Jesus. We kids had an excellent upbringing for my Grandfather Marler was a fine preacher who never let anyone forget about God. His life represented God really well. We were also blessed to have Clement Taylor and his wife in Destin. They were a very Godly couple and highly educated. Clement was an Oxford Graduate and loved the Lord like you couldn't believe. He became my very demanding Sunday School teacher. When we assembled at our Church most everyone came to sing and worship Jesus. He was very real to us and we learned to depend on Him for we knew He was God. I had so little to give my parents on Christmas so a picture of something like a Christmas tree which I'd drawn with some crayons was about all I had but they made over it. My own presents might be a few inexpensive toys with one costing a dollar or two. But you know, we had each other and that was the best of all. Today, I hope all who are having a difficult Christmas will realize Jesus is the best Present as we did back them and if we have Him and our loved ones near by, we are as rich as can be. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE. I love you. Please pray for me constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment